Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Living Out in the Sticks

When we lived in Deltona my friend and fellow teacher, Kathy Anselmo, told me that when we moved to Lake County we would have to put our trash cans on the back of our truck and haul them up to the road. I said, "No way. Living in Lake County won't be like living out in the sticks." Well, guess what? We do have to load our trash cans and haul them up to the road. I do like living out where we do. It's very peaceful and our property is just beautiful. What's nice about where we live is that we aren't in the city, but within 10 minutes I can be at Publix, Wal Mart, Target, the bank, etc.
There is one very frustrating thing about living out in the boonies. We don't have access to high speed internet. We have dial up and it takes forever. One day I got an e-mail from a friend that had pictures and it was taking forever to download. In fact, I had 11 other e-mails that wouldn't open until that one was opened. I had to let the computer run all night so it could download the pictures. Trying to add pictures to a blog is another joke. I literally was trying to upload a picture to my blog and it was taking forever. So, I went outside to wash and vaccum my car. When I got back in, it still hadn't finished. I was ready to give up on blogging. Blogs are more fun to read when there are pictures. I've found a solution to that problem.
The other day I got on the phone and called Embarq and Dishnetwork to see if, by now, we could get something better than dial up. No luck. I then got the idea to ask someone that lives in Lake Dalhousie what they use for internet. I found out that they have comcast and love it. I got on the phone right away and found my service request from five years ago. Boy, do they keep good records. They found out that the house near ours uses Comcast. They are sending someone out next week to see if we can hooked up.
I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

What good news for you!

SpaceyKasey said...

Dial up. Tragic. I'm so happy for you now.

The sticks aren't so bad, huh?

Ashlea said...

Yeah for Comcast! I hope it works!