Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wendy Dress

My friend, Ashlea, asked me to come over and help her make a Wendy (from Peter Pan) dress for her daughter's Halloween costume. I gladly accepted the offer. This time I brought some scissors, my pins, a seam ripper, a measuring tape and a few other things. She told me that she went out and bought those things. I just wanted to be sure we had everything we needed. I got over there around 1:00 in the afternoon. I showed her how to lay out the fabric and get it all cut out.
Once all the cutting was done, we were ready to sew. However, the sewing machine wasn't ready to sew. It was not being very cooperative. There was something wrong with the stitching. We tried adjusing the tension and even rethreaded it. NO GOOD! The only thing we needed was a sewing machine now. I didn't think to bring that with me. So, I looked at her and said let's go to my house and get my machine. When we got back to her house we were ready to begin.
Everything worked out great! It was around 8:00 and the only things left were the zipper and the hem. I needed to go to Wal Mart and do my grocery shopping. So I told her that I would take the dress home and do the zipper there during the week. Grace overheard this and with the saddest voice said, "She can't take my Wendy dress home." She finally agreed to let me take it home, but I knew she wanted that dress. So I thought as long as I can get out of here by 9:30 I will be fine.
Back to sewing. I told Ashlea to look in the bag for a zipper foot. She said, "A What?" I explained to her what it looked like. She found it and we went to put it one and I realized she had the zipper foot for her machine not mine. What do we do now? I couldn't remember if I have ever put on a zipper without a zipper foot. Well, we had not choice but to try. It actually worked out quite well with a little improvising.
Grace was still awake when the hem was finished, which meant the Wendy dress was done. We had her try it on. She looked beautiful! She doesn't need a dress to make her look beautiful, but the two of them put together made you smile. I can't wait to see her in it with her hair all done. And of course, with Peter Pan standing beside her. Gavin will be Peter Pan.

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Ashlea said...

Mary, you are such a good friend and life saver in so many ways!

SpaceyKasey said...

You helped with that dress? It was adorable! You're so talented. (Even if you dno't talk enough at book club.)

:) I love you...That was a friendly jab.