Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can You Add?????

I was on the phone tonight with Scholastic (book club) ordering books for my students. When the order was finished the representative was reviewing my totals and bonus points. She told me that I had earned 102 bonus points. I had her repeat the bonus points because it was different than what I came up with. I came up with 128. It was only a 26 point discrepancy, but points add up over the years. That means more free books for the classroom. Anyways I asked her about this and she said, " I can't do anything about that, the computer came up with that number." Don't you just love computers sometimes?
She then put me on hold to talk with someone about it. When she got back on the line she said that the total was 102. I said to her, "When you add 32 and 96 together it equals 128." She told me that she could transfer me to someone in customer service.
I explained to the lady how the computer came up with 102 instead of 128. She put me on hold to talk with someone else. When she got back on the line she said that they would give me the 128 points, but she couldn't see where that came from. Hello, 32 points plus 96 extra points = 128 points. Do people know how to add or do they always rely on a computer?

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

you can bet that there is a mistake somewhere else is all i have to say to that...good luck

SpaceyKasey said...

Add, smchmad. Math is overrated. :)

j/k, I'm a total math geek...I admit I sometimes still check math books out from the library. Not kidding.

pamsplace said...

hey Mary, I just read thru your blog...Wow lots happening. I am so glad I get to hear whats going on since I dont get to talk to you much any more. Blogging is great! How about some pics??