Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Trip Home

I left Saturday morning to spend the weekend in Merritt Island with my sister Ellen. It wasn't for fun, it was to spend time with our mom. My mom had surgery done on February 3rd. She has had some trouble walking and this is due to some disks in her back that are compressed together.

My sister didn't tell my mom I was coming down so it was a surprise to her when I walked in the room. When I got into sight a little smile came across her face. That made my day. She was only suppose to be in the hospital for a week and then she would spend the next 6 weeks in a rehab center. Unfortunately she had some medications that were causing complications inside of her body. Don't want to go into detail, not a pleasant thing to talk about. So, that is why she was still there 2 weeks later.

It was such a sad sight to see her just sit there with a look of pain on her face. You could tell that she was very frustrated about not being able to do anything. The only thing she could do by herself was eat, breath and sleep. When she would get that sad look on her face like she was going to cry my sister would get in her face and tell her to stop and be positive. I am such a softy, I know that I couldn't do that to her. My twin sister, Susie, is like me. She was a softy with mom too. But as soon as Ellen arrived she was the hard one. I think my mom needed Susie with her softness right after surgery and Ellen with her toughness for the week that followed to keep her from giving up.

After we got home we decided to head out to the mall. We ended up going to see New in Town. We thought it was quite funny. Then afterwards we each found a Cold Stone Creamy gift card in our purses, thanks to our great sister Susie. So, we treated ourselves to an ice cream and then headed home for bed.

The next morning I got up, showered and went to Sacrament meeting at the Cocoa Ward. I was sitting down and a few people came up and said that I looked familiar. It had been 24 years since I was there last. I turned to look around and I saw the Paxtons. That was a surprise. So they came and sat by me. I didn't stay for the whole 3 hours because I needed to head to the hospital.

My sister and I thought we were going to get the good news today that she was going to be released. However, one of the doctors didn't want to release her because her insides were still not working properly. What a let down. We spent the rest of the day sitting with her. The therapist doesn't work on weekends so we were able to get two of the nurses to help her to take a short walk.

Around 5:00 they came in to do some kind of test so my sister and I decided it was time for us to leave. We said our goodbyes and she went her way and I went mine.

As I traveled home I felt so blessed for my health and my capabilities. I was thinking about how I hoped I would never have to be in that situation. I don't want to have to be dependant upon anyone.

My mom is very lucky to have her seven children. She has had one of us there ever since her surgery. Once she is in the rehab center it will be hit or miss when we go. I am the closest and feel like I have been there the least. I feel guilty.

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

You have a twin sister?!?

Mary said...

No, I really don't. But we do look so much alike.

pamsplace said...

hey, you didnt mention your visit when your brother was there, how was it??